Pellet stoves are a popular choice for heating homes and businesses, offering an efficient and cost-effective way to keep your space warm during the colder months. However, like any mechanical device, pellet stoves require regular maintenance and occasional repairs. One of the most common problems with pellet stoves is a malfunctioning auger motor. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at what an auger motor is, how it works, and what to do if yours needs to be replaced.
What is an auger motor?
An auger motor is a small electric motor that drives the auger, a spiral-shaped device that feeds pellets from the hopper into the combustion chamber of the stove. The auger motor is controlled by the stove’s thermostat and operates on a timer, turning on and off as needed to maintain the desired temperature.
How does an auger motor work?
The auger motor works by turning a shaft that is attached to the auger. As the shaft turns, the auger moves pellets from the hopper into the combustion chamber. The motor is controlled by the stove’s thermostat, which sends a signal to the motor when more pellets are needed to maintain the desired temperature. When the temperature is reached, the motor turns off until more pellets are needed.
Why might an auger motor need to be replaced?
Like any mechanical device, the auger motor can wear out over time or be damaged by a variety of factors. Some of the most common reasons an auger motor might need to be replaced include:
- Overheating: If the motor runs too hot, it can damage the internal components and reduce its lifespan.
- Wear and tear: Over time, the motor’s bearings and other components can wear out, causing it to fail.
- Moisture: If the motor is exposed to moisture or humidity, it can cause corrosion and damage to the internal components.
- Power surges: If the motor experiences a power surge or other electrical issue, it can cause damage to the internal components.
How to replace an auger motor
If your pellet stove’s auger motor needs to be replaced, the good news is that it’s a relatively simple process that can be done in a few easy steps. Here’s what you’ll need to do:
- Turn off the stove: Before you begin any work, make sure the stove is turned off and unplugged from the power source.
- Remove the old motor: Locate the auger motor inside the stove and remove it from its mounting bracket. Disconnect any wires or electrical connections.
- Install the new motor: Install the new motor in the same location as the old one, making sure it is securely mounted and all wires are properly connected.
- Test the motor: Once the new motor is installed, turn on the stove and test the auger to make sure it is working properly.
Replacing a pellet stove auger motor may seem like a daunting task, but with the right tools and a little know-how, it’s a simple job that can be done in just a few steps. By following the tips and instructions outlined in this article, you can save yourself time and money by repairing your pellet stove on your own, instead of calling in a professional. So if you’re experiencing issues with your pellet stove’s auger motor, don’t hesitate to take action and replace it today.